Jr. Sabres to Play at FNC Wednesday; Can Clinch Division With Win | Sports & Recreation
(Amherst, NY) - The Buffalo Junior Sabres will host the Oakville Blades at the First Niagara Center on Wednesday, February 20 at 7:00pm. As of now, a win by the Junior Sabres will clinch for them a first place finish in the Ontario Junior Hockey League West Division and the top seed in the OJHL's South-West Conference during the playoffs, which begin next week.
Admission to the game Wednesday is just $7.00 for adults and $3.00 for youth and seniors. Free parking is available in the ramp adjacent to the arena. There will be a concession stand open.
The Jr. Sabres, under head coach/general manager Michael Peca, have risen to become one of the biggest success stories in the OJHL this season and this week are ranked #15 in all of Canadian Jr. "A" Hockey by the Canadian Junior Hockey League. (Peca will not be in attendance Wednesday. He is with the Jr. Sabres' 12U team, for whom his son is playing, at the Quebec Pee Wee International Tournament this week.)
Among the accomplishments by this season's Jr. Sabres roster is the franchise's second 50-goal scorer. Tyler Gjuirich netted his 50th and 51st goals in Sunday's 5-3 win over Mississauga at the Northtown Center at Amherst. The only other player in the history of the junior franchise to score 50 or more goals in a regular season was Brian Gionta, now playing with the NHL's Montreal Canadiens, who netted 57 goals in the 1996-97 season during the franchise's Niagara Scenic era.
Six players on the roster have committed to NCAA college hockey programs, with more college commitments expected in the near future.
For more information about the Buffalo Jr. Sabres, visit their official website at www.buffalojuniorsabres.com.
Upcoming Events near Williamsville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood