Buffalo Jr. Sabres Ranked 11th Best Jr. "A" Team in Canada | News
(Amherst, NY) – The Buffalo Junior Sabres franchise is making history this week, with the Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) ranking the Jr. Sabres 11th in its latest weekly Top 20 List of Junior “A” teams throughout Canada, released today, November 12, 2012.
The CJHL, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, is an organization that oversees ten Canadian junior leagues including the Ontario Junior Hockey League, in which the Jr. Sabres compete as the league’s lone U.S. franchise. The CJHL's role includes development of consistent rules and disciplines and determining a Canadian Junior-A national champion.
It is the first time the Jr. Sabres have appeared in the CJHL’s Top 20. Twice this season the team has earned “honourable mentions” as part of the weekly rankings, last week and in the rankings released October 1.
The man leading the team puts the credit entirely on the players.
“They have all committed to putting in the work,” said Jr. Sabres head coach and general manager Michael Peca. “When we put work ahead of skill, we become a tough team to play against.”
Buffalo is currently enjoying a five-game winning streak and raised its standing in the CJHL over the past week thanks to convincing wins over two of the OJHL’s traditional powerhouses, the Oakville Blades and Georgetown Raiders. Goaltender Parker Gahagen (Williamsville, NY) has registered three shutouts during the team’s winning streak and has five so far this season. Leading scorer Tyler Gjurich (Hatfield, PA) has scored ten goals in his past four games, including a four-goal output in Buffalo’s 7-0 win over then-12th ranked Georgetown on November 8 (Georgetown is now ranked 14th in this week’s Top 20).
The CJHL's ranking is compiled in conjunction with National Hockey League Central Scouting. You can read the CJHL's weekly rankings in full at www.cjhlhockey.com.
The Jr. Sabres return to game action on Wednesday, November 14 when they host the North York Rangers at the Northtown Center at Amherst, 1615 Amherst Manor Drive (between Maple and Millersport) beginning at 7:30pm.
For more information about the Jr. Sabres, visit the team’s official website at www.buffalojuniorsabres.com. The team can also be followed on Facebook (Buffalo Jr. Sabres Official) and Twitter (BuffaloJrSabres).
Upcoming Events near Williamsville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Deer Rescued from Glen Falls in Williamsville
- Daemen Approved for Advancement in NCAA Membership Process
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors