Jr. Sabres Ranked #8 in Canada; Host St. Michael's Monday Night | Events
*** UPDATED - Monday, December 10, 2012 ***
(Amherst, NY) – The Buffalo Junior Sabres Junior “A” Hockey Club will host the St. Michael’s Buzzers in an Ontario Junior Hockey League game tonight, Monday, December 10, 2012, that puts two teams recognized among the best in Canadian Junior "A" hockey against each other.
The game will take place on the Lexus Feature Rink in the Northtown Center at Amherst, beginning at 7:30pm. Tickets are just $7 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens. The game can also be followed via internet streaming video on FASTHockey.com (a $7 fee applies for this service).
As of December 10, 2012, the Jr. Sabres were ranked #8 in all of Canadian Jr. “A” hockey by the Canadian Junior Hockey League, a nationwide hockey governing body that oversees ten Canadian Jr. "A" leagues including the Jr. Sabres' league, the OJHL. Toronto-based St. Michael’s was ranked #17 in the CJHL's poll last week, and although they have fallen out of the Top 20 in this week's nationwide ranking they remain a formidable opponent. Buffalo and St. Michael's currently sit in first place in the OJHL's West and South Divisions, respectively.
The Jr. Sabres also enter Monday night’s game with two of their players recently honored for outstanding performances in the month of November. Goaltender Parker Gahagen (Williamsville, NY) was named the OJHL’s Gongshow Gear Goaltender of the Month for November, while forward Tyler Gjurich (Hatfield, PA) was named the league’s Gongshow Gear South-West Conference Player of the Month. Gahagen won five of his seven starts in November, posting a goals-against-average of 1.91 in that stretch while recording three shutouts. Gjurich scored 15 goals during the month of November and currently leads the league in scoring with 31 goals and 25 assists in 35 games.
Operated by members of the Buffalo Sabres Alumni, the Buffalo Junior Sabres compete in the Ontario Junior Hockey League as its only U.S. based franchise. The team has served since the mid-1970s as a stepping stone for hundreds of elite hockey players developing for consideration by higher level hockey programs, mostly NCAA college hockey. Several players have gone on to careers in the National Hockey League, including Brian Gionta, Ryan Callahan, Lee Stempniak, Todd Marchant, Kevyn Adams, Aaron Miller and Jeff Farkas, just to name a few.
For more information about the Buffalo Jr. Sabres, visit the team’s official website at www.buffalojuniorsabres.com. The team can also be followed on Facebook (Buffalo Jr. Sabres Official) and Twitter (BuffaloJrSabres).
Upcoming Events near Williamsville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Deer Rescued from Glen Falls in Williamsville
- Daemen Approved for Advancement in NCAA Membership Process
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors