IRS Offers Tips to Help Taxpayers | Business
The IRS will begin processing most individual income tax returns on Jan. 30 after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. The IRS anticipated many of the tax law changes made by Congress under the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), but the final law requires some changes before the IRS can begin accepting tax returns.
The IRS will not process paper or electronic tax returns before the Jan. 30 opening date, so there is no advantage to filing on paper before then. Using e-file is the best way to file an accurate tax return, and using e-file with direct deposit is the fastest way to get a refund.
Many major software providers are accepting tax returns in advance of the Jan. 30 processing date. These software providers will hold onto the returns and then electronically submit them after the IRS systems open. If you use commercial software, check with your provider for specific instructions about when they will accept your return. Software companies and tax professionals send returns to the IRS, but the timing of the refunds is determined by IRS processing, which starts Jan. 30.
After the IRS starts processing returns, it expects to process refunds within the usual timeframes. Last year, the IRS issued more than nine out of 10 refunds to taxpayers in less than 21 days, and it expects the same results in 2013. Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, some tax returns will require additional review and take longer. To help protect against refund fraud, the IRS has put in place stronger security filters this filing season.
After taxpayers file a return, they can track the status of the refund with the “Where’s My Refund?” tool available on the IRS.gov website. New this year, instead of an estimated date, Where’s My Refund? will give people an actual personalized refund date after the IRS processes the tax return and approves the refund.
"Where's My Refund?" will be available for use after the IRS starts processing tax returns on Jan. 30. Here are some tips for using "Where's My Refund?" after it's available on Jan. 30:
- Initial information will generally be available within 24 hours after the IRS receives the taxpayer’s e-filed return or four weeks after mailing a paper return.
- The system updates every 24 hours, usually overnight. There’s no need to check more than once a day.
- “Where’s My Refund?” provides the most accurate and complete information that the IRS has about the refund, so there is no need to call the IRS unless the web tool says to do so.
- To use the “Where’s My Refund?” tool, taxpayers need to have a copy of their tax return for reference. Taxpayers will need their social security number, filing status and the exact dollar amount of the refund they are expecting.
For the latest information about the Jan. 30 tax season opening, tax law changes and tax refunds, visit IRS.gov.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific, individualized tax advice as individual situations will vary. Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., Georgetown Capital and its advisors are not engaged in rendering tax advice.
Prepared by the IRS. For more information go to www.irs.gov.
Registered Representatives may only discuss/and or transact securities business with residents of the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI
Representatives offer Securities and Advisory Services through Royal Alliance Associates, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC and a registered investment advisor.
Georgetown Capital Group is independent of Royal Alliance Associates, Inc. with separate ownership, and is not registered as a broker-dealer or investment advisor.
Joseph V. Curatolo, President of Georgetown Capital Group
5350 Main Street, Williamsville, NY 14221
Phone #(716) 633-9800 Toll Free 1 (800) 648-8091 Fax #(716) 633-9789
Top Williamsville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Turkish Cooking Class -- May 18th, Saturday @1:00pm
- Catholic Cemeteries of Buffalo to salute heroes this Memorial Day
- Funeral Held for Evans Officer Killed in Off-Duty Crash
- Celebrate Mother's Day at the Herschell Carrousel Museum
- "Turkish Passport: The Only Holocaust Story with Happy Ending", May 9th @7:00pm